Silhouette just sent me their fabric ink starter kit, and I was super excited to try it out! I really love the idea of painting fabric, and I’m no good at drawing freehand, so it’s even better that I can use my Cameo to make stencils! Check out my first project: stenciled tea towels!
I’m so thrilled with how they turned out, and they only took a few minutes to make!
Make Your Own Stenciled Tea Towels
Here’s what you need to make your own towels:
- plain tea towels (or flour sacks, cut into quarters)
- a stencil (I made mine with my Cameo and the stencil vinyl that comes in the fabric ink starter kit)
- fabric ink
- a sponge brush
I started by loading my stencil vinyl into my Cameo and cutting out these adorable kitchen canisters.
Then I weeded out all of the extra pieces from the vinyl.
Once the stencil was ready, I peeled it off the backing and transferred it to the towel.
I poured a bit of fabric paint into the mixer tray that comes with the starter kit, then dabbed it onto the towel with the sponge brush. Make sure you dab gently up and down rather than “brushing” side to side. You want to get paint onto the fabric, but you don’t want to accidentally “sweep” it under the edges of the stencil vinyl and ruin your design!
A little paint goes a long way, so don’t overdo it!
Once you’re done covering all open areas in your stencil, gently peel away the stencil vinyl. Be careful not to smear any wet paint at this point!
Let your towel dry for a little while, and then hang it up and enjoy!
If you want to see more Silhouette tutorials, check out my Silhouette project gallery to see every project I’ve ever done with my Silhouette, or check out a few of my favorites below!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- 2 Surefire Ways To Disinfect & Clean Bath Toys - March 24, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed No. 165 – And An Oriental Trading Giveaway! - March 23, 2017
- My Toddler Puts Everything In Her Mouth! - March 20, 2017
- How To Make Sensory Bags For Babies & Toddlers - March 17, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed No. 164 – And An Oriental Trading Giveaway! - March 16, 2017