Today’s post is brought to you by Jocie at OPC’s The Better Half! She has an awesome tutorial to share with you guys!
Thanks so much for having me here at Practically Functional! I’m Jocie (pronounced Jah-see) from OPC’s The Better Half. Here I am in Jamaica last summer, rocking my polka-dot shades. Yes, I’m a dork like that.
If you haven’t heard of us, One Project Closer (OPC) is for the hard-core home improvement folks. Ethan, my hubs, shadows professional contractors on actual job sites to give our readers the best and most detailed project guides available, all for free. Some my favorite project guides include how to lay wood floors, building a deck, and repairing cracked concrete.
The Better Half is just like it sounds – better! Just kidding…but not really. lol! I seriously love crafts and decor-oriented DIY – some of my favorites include my first video on Pallets: 101 – how to deconstruct pallets and my DIY Pottery Barn dining table. Kim, the other Better Half, works 24/7 to provide up-date home improvement savings like this Home Depot coupon!
I’ve recently been working hard on revamping my dining room, living room, and kitchen. I started with the kitchen, but got a little distracted. I finally finished and unveiled the kitchen and few weeks ago, and it looks fabulous. Goodbye dark and drab. Hello fun and fresh!
Making a valence for the kitchen was my first real project in the kitchen. After all, fabric is much harder to pick than paint. This no-sew valence was actually my second attempt. The first was pretty but too casual – don’t worry it went to live in my sister’s bathroom and is well loved.
I ended up making this no-sew valence because I hate sewing and pre-fab window treatment hardware is super expensive. I think we maybe spend $30 in total, including scrap wood, hardware, and fabric.
Ethan (my super handsome and helpful hubby) made a simple wooden frame to go around the top of the window. It was made using 3/4″ plywood,and was cut so the length was just wider than the actual window frame and about four inches deep. He then attached metal U brackets to each end. Super simple! I probably could have done this myself but he looks so good with his power tools.
It took me forever to pick my fabric – but I eventually settled on a beautiful cream, gold, and gray upholstery fabric. I love it, but when I was at Joann’s this week I saw some ikat that I am itching to buy to re-do this! I bought one yard. Big mistake, I should have bought more, but it worked out okay.
- plywood frame, 41 inches wide
- 1 yard of fabric
- Staple Gun and LOTS of staples
- 2 Metal U brackets
Step 1: Measure and Cut
I doubled over the fabric and cut 14 inches up from the bottom, finished edge.
I cut one of the those two pieces in half so I had a total of three pieces of fabric – (2) 14×18 and (1) 14×36. Ignore the aqua toes…lol.
Step 2: Staple the Center
I placed the one 14×36 inch piece centered on the frame. Once I found the center of the frame and fabric, I created a three-inch bubble or pleat in the center. I used straight pins to hold it against the wood since I didn’t have any more hands (or feet).
I then folded the top of the fabric over frame so it goes up around the top of the board and folds over to the other side. I stapled the fabric the back of the board, using an absurd amount of staples. I probably won’t even be able to remove it. I was very careful to keep the fabric centered and the bubble perfect, which is where the straight pins came in handy.
As I stapled, I measured up from the bottom edge of the fabric to the frame for the entire length of the fabric to ensure the fabric was straight.
Step 3: Staple the Sides
Once the center panel was stapled, I took one of the 14×18″ panels and lined it up on one side, face-down. I made sure the bottom edges lined up with each other and stapled the inner edge of the fabric to the frame.
I created another bubble or pleat at the edge, turning the fabric over to face up. Then I wrapped the remainder of the fabric around the side of the frame and stapled the top around the back of the frame.
I repeated this process for the other side.
Step 4: Hang and Finish
Ethan hung the frame and valence, using the metal brackets. Because I used three separate pieces of fabric instead of one, there was a slight separation of fabric at each of the two sides. I wish I had bought more fabric so it could be one, uniform curtain. Anyway, I used straight pins to hold together the pieces of fabric and it worked out great (and saved me some money on extra fabric). If I had wanted to invest a little more time and effort, I could have sewn small darts instead of using pins.
Step 5: Admire!
This was a quick and relatively inexpensive valence and I really love it, especially the fabric.
And here she is, along with all her other kitchen friends! heehee
Love that fabric! And what a quick and simple way to make a valence! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial with us Jocie!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- Homemade Moisturizing Body Wash - August 18, 2014
- Creativity Unleashed Link Party – No. 33 - August 15, 2014
- Fun with Fabric Projects! - August 14, 2014
- Organize School Supplies With Mason Jars & Washi Tape! - August 13, 2014
- Fun Back to School Ideas - August 7, 2014