I’m participating in Get Your Chef On for the first time ever, and the secret ingredient this time is pears! So today I’m sharing my favorite pear recipe ever: Merlot Poached Pears!
Pretty, aren’t they? These are the perfect dinner party dessert because they are elegant, delicious, and super easy to make!
Merlot Poached Pears
- 2 pears
- 1 1/2 C Merlot (or any red wine)
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T orange juice
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
You can easily double or triple this recipe if you need to feed a large group!
Cut the pears in half lengthwise and remove the core.
In a large pan (large enough for all the pear halves to lay flat) combine all ingredients except for the pears and bring to a simmer.
Once it simmers, add the pears, flat sides down. Then cover and continue simmering until the pears are tender. It should take about 15 minutes.
Once the pears are tender, remove them from the wine mixture. Turn the heat up to high and boil to reduce the liquid. Once it’s reduced to about 1/2 cup, remove the cinnamon stick and cloves, and let the syrup cool and thicken.
Drizzle the syrup over the pears, and enjoy!
Super easy and super delicious!
The pears are also great cold! If you need to make them ahead of time, refrigerate them and the syrup separately, then drizzle with syrup just before serving.
I link up at these awesome parties!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- Curious Bunny Flower Pot Easter Decorations - March 2, 2015
- How To Make Green Roses For St. Patrick’s Day - February 27, 2015
- Creativity Unleashed Link Party – No. 58 - February 26, 2015
- How To Turn A T-Shirt Into A Tote Bag Without Sewing! - February 23, 2015
- How To Make Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur - February 20, 2015