This post was last updated on
Learn how to make the cutest baby onesie with the Cricut Easypress 2! This homemade baby onesie would make the cutest one of a kind gift at your next baby shower!
One of my favorite things to make is homemade baby onesies: they’re so easy to make and they make the perfect handmade gift for any new mom! Cricut’s new EasyPress 2 makes these cute baby onesies EVEN EASIER to make then ever before, and I am so excited! Today I’m going to show you just how quick and easy it is to make a homemade baby onesie using a Cricut Maker and a Cricut EasyPress 2.
The Cricut EasyPress 2 is a brilliant cross between a heat press and an iron, giving you the professional quality results of a heat press, but with the speed and portability of a regular household iron. It comes in three unique sizes (6×7, 9×9, and 12×10) to fit whatever project you plan to do. I have the 9×9 EasyPress 2 which is great for t-shirts, aprons, tote bags etc.
My favorite thing about this new EasyPress 2 is how easy it is to use. It heats up really quickly, and gives you precise temperature control up to 400 degrees F. And the ceramic-coated heat plate is perfect for dry, even heat across your entire project. Just set the temperature and the timer, press the EasyPress 2 down onto your project, and in 60 seconds or less you have a professional quality iron-on transfer on your project!
And if you’re still on the fence or still have questions about the Maker, check out my post answering all the common questions about the Maker!
Hello I’m New Here Baby Onesie With The Cricut EasyPress 2
- Time spent doing stuff: 20 minutes
- Time spent waiting around: 15 minutes
- Total project time: 35 minutes
- Cricut EasyPress 2 (I used the 9×9 EasyPress 2)
- Cricut Maker
- 12×12 LightGrip Cricut mat
- 12×12 EasyPress Mat
- weeding tool
Check out the video below to see the whole project from start to finish! (You can also find written instructions below the video.)
Start by opening up Cricut Design Space. You can grab the free SVG cut file at the bottom of this post, then upload it into Design Space. (This tutorial will show you how to upload your own images or SVG files to Design Space.)
If you need to adjust the size of the design, or want to change the colors of the words or graphics, you can do that in Design Space. Once you’re ready to cut out the vinyl, click the green Make It button.
When you are using heat transfer vinyl, the material goes “pretty side down” on your cutting mat, so the Cricut cuts the back of the material. This means you always need to set your mats to “Mirror” in Design Space before you begin cutting.
Once your mats are mirrored, click Continue to send the project to your machine.
Load the glitter heat transfer vinyl onto your mat (pretty side down!), load the mat into the machine, and press the flashing Go button.
Repeat this step for the foil heat transfer vinyl. Once the vinyl has been cut you can close your Cricut Maker and move it off to the side.
Weed away the background vinyl using a sharp weeding tool. Don’t forget to pull out the extra vinyl in the center of letters like “O” and “B”!
Turn on your Cricut EasyPress 2 and start it pre-heating. You can find a table of recommended temperatures and heat times on Cricut’s website here. Press the temperature button, then use the up and down buttons to set the temperature. The power button will turn red while it is preheating, and will change back to green once it is fully pre-heated.
Press the timer button and set the desired time using the up and down buttons.
Place your onesie on top of the EasyPress Mat. If you are worried about the seams of the onesie you can place a folded up piece of fabric under the center of the onesie to help raise the main body of the onesie up to the same height as the thicker seams.
Once the EasyPress 2 is pre-heated, there are three steps to apply your heat transfer vinyl:
- Pre-heat your project: Place the EasyPress 2 on your onesie and press firmly for approximately 5 seconds (the table on the Cricut website will tell you the recommended pre-heat time), then place it back on its base
- Press your project: Position your vinyl on your onesie, then place the EasyPress 2 over your design and press firmly for the recommended time.
- Press the back of your project: To make sure the vinyl is really well adhered to your project, flip the onesie over and press it again from the back for approximately half the recommended time that you did on the front (again, the table will give you exact recommended times for all of these steps)
Once you are done pressing your project, peel away the clear backing plastic from the onesie (the table on the Cricut website will tell you whether a warm peel or cold peel is recommended).
And you’re done!
It’s such a cute little onesie, and so easy to make with the Cricut EasyPress 2!
Grab the free “Hello I’m New Here” SVG cut file below!
And don’t forget to check out my other Cricut tutorials and project ideas!
I hope this list helps inspire you to make some new projects with your Cricut! If you’re brand new to Cricut, check out some of my beginner tutorials:
- What Materials Can A Cricut Machine Cut? Here Are Over 100!
- What Is A Cricut Machine & What Can I Do With It?
- How Do I Upload My Own Images With A Cricut Machine?
Want to share this project with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
Disclosure: I received compensation from Cricut in exchange for my participation in this campaign, and my honest discussion of their new products. But the Cricut EasyPress 2 is seriously amazing and all opinions in this post are 100% my own. I would never write a post about something I didn’t think was useful or interesting for you guys, and Practically Functional will only publish sponsored posts for companies or products I love and believe in! 🙂
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cricut. The opinions and text are all mine.
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- Which Is The Best Cricut Machine In 2019: All 4 Cricut Models Compared - April 26, 2019
- FREE Mrs. Meyer’s Products In Limited Edition Spring Scents Are Here! - March 16, 2019
- Great Wolf Lodge Is Not For The Faint Of Heart (But It’s Worth It!) - March 15, 2019
- Deep Clean Your Bathroom With These 10 Simple Hacks! - March 4, 2019
- Tired As A Mother SVG Cut File - February 26, 2019