Do you know how to hard boil eggs? It’s not hard to do, but sometimes you end up with a green tinge around the edges of the yolk, or the yolk gets dry instead of creamy. So today I’m going to show you how to hard boil eggs perfectly. You’ll end up with delicious hard boiled eggs with creamy, yellow yolks every time!
If you prefer soft-boiled eggs, that’s easy too! All you have to do is adjust the cooking time slightly; I’ll give you all the details below!
How To Hard Boil Eggs
The first step is to find a pan large enough for your eggs. You want to make sure all of your eggs fit in one layer on the bottom of the pan. Put your eggs in the pan and fill the pan with cold water until the eggs are just barely covered with water.
Heat the pan on medium-high heat until the water comes to a full rolling boil. Make sure it’s really boiling!
Once it boils, turn the heat off, or if you have an electric stove, remove the pan from the burner completely so the leftover heat from the coil doesn’t overcook the eggs.
Put a lid on the pan and let the eggs sit to continue cooking.
- If you want soft-boiled eggs, leave the eggs for 4 minutes. This will get you a nice, soft, runny yolk.
- If you want hard-boiled eggs, leave them for 9 to 10 minutes, depending on how creamy you want the yolk. For slightly drier yolks like those in the photos in this post, let them cook 10 minutes. If you want your yolks a little more creamy, only let them sit for 9 minutes.
Set a timer, because this is the important part! As soon as the timer goes off, pull the eggs out of the water using a slotted spoon, gently crack each egg shell by tapping it on the counter, and then place them in a colander.
Run cold water over the eggs to stop them from cooking. The cracked shell lets a little bit of water into the egg to help cool down the inside as well as the outside. (You can also place the eggs into a bowl of ice water instead of running water over them.)
Want to share this tutorial with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
More posts you might like!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- 10 Painted Furniture Makeovers - April 25, 2017
- Get Outside For A Backyard Family BBQ! - April 25, 2017
- The Ultimate Guide: 34 Plants That Repel Mosquitos Naturally! - April 24, 2017
- How To Clean Grout With A Homemade Grout Cleaner - April 21, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed No. 169 & HomeRight Giveaway! - April 20, 2017