This post was last updated on
I forgot to take my rings off when I was cleaning bath toys the other day, and the bleach oxidized the metal and they were pretty much immediately tarnished! I had some other jewelry laying around that was tarnished as well, so I figured it was the perfect time to clean them. I did a little research on the best DIY jewelry cleaner that you could make yourself, rather than having to buy something, and this recipe worked great! If you have tarnished jewelry that needs a good cleaning, try making this homemade jewelry cleaner; you probably already have all the ingredients you need, and it only takes about 20 minutes!
The Best DIY Jewelry Cleaner
- 5 minutes (time spent doing stuff)
- 15 minutes (time spent waiting around)
- 20 minutes (total project time)
- aluminum foil
- paper towels or a soft cloth
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp dish soap
I made a video to show you just how easy it is to make this DIY jewelry cleaner!
Or if you’d prefer written instructions, here you go!
I got so excited to make the video that I forgot to take a photo of my jewelry before I cleaned it…oops! But I grabbed a still from the video so you can kinda see how tarnished and grey the jewelry was.
Start by cutting a small piece of aluminum foil to fit into the bottom of your bowl. Place the foil inside the bowl and then pour 1 cup of hot water into the bowl.
Add the baking soda, salt, and dish soap, and stir.
Drop your jewelry into the bowl so that it sits on top of the foil, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
Then, rinse the jewelry in cool water, dry it, and buff with a paper towel or soft cloth until shiny. And you’re done!
Want to share this tutorial with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- How To Attach In Cricut Design Space - January 27, 2020
- How To Weld In Cricut Design Space - January 20, 2020
- How To Slice In Cricut Design Space - January 13, 2020
- How To Organize Your Kitchen Drawers: 20 Ideas To Tame The Clutter - December 16, 2019
- Is A Cricut Worth The Price: How To Decide For Yourself - December 11, 2019