Did you make New Year’s resolutions this year? If one of them was to be more organized, or to spend less money, you’re in luck! Today’s simple tutorial will show you how to turn a dollar store expandable file into a super useful coupon organizer!
When it comes to organization, the simplest system is always the best; if your system is too complicated it might be more trouble than it’s worth to maintain it and you might give up after a month or two. That’s why I love this little DIY coupon organizer; it’s simple to set up, and simple to use!
DIY Coupon Organizer
Here’s what you need to make your own: (affiliate links below to the products I use and recommend)
- expandable file (you can find these online at Amazon or at your local dollar store)
- adhesive vinyl
- printable white sticker paper
- Silhouette Cameo (or scissors or an X-acto knife, if you have a steady hand)
Note: I’ve provided a link to download the cut file that I used for this project below!
Start with a plain envelope-sized expandable file.
The first thing I did was cut out the word “Coupons” from silver vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo. I weeded away the vinyl background and then used washi tape as transfer tape to transfer the word to the front of the file.
Then I started on the inside. I measured the small tabs sticking up from each divider and created a small rectangle of the appropriate size in my Silhouette Studio software.
I copied the rectangle so I had one for each tab, then I added letters to each rectangle. If you want to download the cut file I created, you can download it here! I used Silhouette’s print and cut feature to print out the letters on printable white sticker paper, then cut out the rectangles around them.
Next I peeled up the labels and stuck them on the tabs!
Once the labels are on the dividers, you’re ready to fill it up with coupons!
I prefer to have my coupons organized by store, so this filing system works great for me. But if you want to organize your coupons by expiration date, just put months on the tabs instead of letters!
Want to share this project with your friends? Share to Facebook, Pinterest, or send the article by email—just click on any of the share buttons floating on the left, or find them at the top and bottom of this post.
DIY Coupon Organizer With Dollar Store Supplies
- any Cricut cutting machine
- (or a Silhouette Cameo)
- basic Cricut toolset
DIY Coupon Organizer
- small expandable file
- 1 sheet adhesive vinyl
- 1 sheet printable sticker paper
- 1 piece transfer tape (or washi tape)
- Coupon organizer cut file
- Measure the tabs on the dividers inside of the expandable file. Open the cut file provided (like in Materials section above) and modify the size of the rectangular labels to fit your coupon organizer.
- Using your Cricut or Silhouette, cut out the word "Coupons" on a sheet of adhesive vinyl. Weed away the background vinyl. Then use the print and cut feature to print the alphabet labels and cut them out with your cutting machine.
- Place transfer paper on top of the weeded vinyl (not the printable labels) and press firmly. Peel the vinyl and transfer paper away from the backing paper, put the vinyl word on the front of the expandable file, then press down firmly to make sure each letter is attached. Carefully remove the transfer paper.
- Peel up each alphabet label and stick it onto one of the divider tabs inside the expandable file, and you're done!
Save your favorite projects!
Create a free account to easily save your favorite projects, tutorials, and recipes.Create Account