It’s not quite winter yet, but I just can’t wait to get started decorating! Winter is my absolute favorite season, and to celebrate, I made a cute DIY shadowbox. Many shadowboxes are only decorated on the inside or around the frame, but with adhesive vinyl you can decorate the glass too! It’s super easy to do, and you can completely customize your shadowbox to showcase anything you want in under 15 minutes!
DIY ’Tis The Season Shadowbox
- 15 minutes (time spent doing stuff)
- 0 minutes (time spent waiting around)
- 15 minutes (total project time)
Start by removing the back from your shadowbox; trim the red glitter paper to fit inside the back.
Then trim a sprig of faux berries to fit inside the shadowbox.
Place the berries inside the box and the glitter paper at the back of the box, then reattach the back.
I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the vinyl for the front of the shadowbox. I didn’t have any graphics, just text, so it’s easy to recreate! Open your Silhouette Studio software and create text that says “’Tis the season!” I used the Magnolia Sky font for this. Size the text so that it will fit in the glass of your shadowbox, then send it to your machine to cut. Remember to change the blade depth if necessary.
Once the vinyl is cut, weed away any background vinyl using the weeding tool.
Then trim a piece of transfer paper to the same size as your vinyl words, peel the backing off the transfer paper, and press the transfer paper onto the vinyl words. Use a scraper tool to press the transfer paper down onto the vinyl so that it really sticks.
Gently peel up the transfer paper; it should stick to the vinyl enough to peel the vinyl letters up off the backing.
Position the vinyl and transfer paper on your shadowbox, then press the vinyl down onto the glass. Use a scraper tool again to really press the vinyl letters onto the glass.
Carefully peel away the transfer paper; the vinyl letters should remain stuck to the glass.
And you’re done!
Stand the shadowbox on your mantel and enjoy!
Want to share this project with your friends? Share to Facebook, Pinterest, or send the article by email—just click on any of the share buttons floating on the left, or find them at the top and bottom of this post.
DIY ’Tis The Season Shadowbox
- any Cricut cutting machine
- (or a Silhouette Cameo)
- paper trimmer
- scraper tool
- weeding tool
- 1 shadowbox
- 1 sheet red glitter paper
- 1 sheet silver adhesive vinyl
- transfer tape
- 1 sprig of faux berries
- Remove the back from your shadowbox; trim the red glitter paper to the size of the back.
- Trim a sprig of faux berries to fit inside the shadowbox. Place the berries inside the box and the glitter paper at the back of the box, then reattach the back.
- In your cutting machine software, type out "'Tis the season" in a fun font, then load silver adhesive vinyl into the machine and cut out the words. Weed away any background vinyl using the weeding tool.
- Peel the backing off a piece of transfer paper and press it down firmly onto the vinyl words. Gently peel up the transfer paper; it should stick to the vinyl enough to peel the vinyl letters up off the backing.
- Position the vinyl and transfer paper on your shadowbox, then press the vinyl down onto the glass. Use a scraper tool to really press the vinyl letters onto the glass.
- Carefully peel away the transfer paper; the vinyl letters should remain stuck to the glass. And you're done!
Save your favorite projects!
Create a free account to easily save your favorite projects, tutorials, and recipes.Create Account
Don’t miss these awesome vinyl projects!
Hand Lettered Elf Food Groups T-Shirt – Pitter and Glink
Monogramed Hairbrush – The Craft Patch
Bring Wine Winter Socks – Tried & True
Hello My Name Is Personalized Newborn Onesie – Where the Smiles Have Been
Hakuna Moscato Wine Glass Decal – That’s What Che Said
Vinyl Christmas Countdown – Sugar Bee Crafts
Made with Love Vinyl Gift – A Girl and a Glue Gun
Merry Christmas Door Hanger – Minted Strawberry
Get Your Write On Pencil Holder – Delineate Your Dwelling
Thankful Jar – Kiki & Company
Gimme Some Sugar Hand-Lettered Dish Cloth – Persia Lou
DIY Elf Quote Christmas Pillows – A Kailo Chic Life
Giant Hello Sign Tutorial – Ginger Snap Crafts
DIY Diamond Trinket Dish – Maritza Alisa
DIY Baby Mobile – Sew What Alicia
DIY Framed Clipboard – Sisters What
Believe in Magic Christmas Banner – Happiness is Homemade
Chalk Style Snowflake Ornaments – Flamingo Toes
Merry Plate – One Artsy Mama
Feast Mode Thanksgiving T-Shirt – Dream a Little Bigger
DIY Christmas Star – Cutesy Crafts
O Holy Night Christmas Star – A Pumpkin and a Princess
Tis The Season Shadow Box – Practically Functional