My husband is a huge literature nerd, and when I saw a fun “Ain’t no party like a Gatsby party” tank top online I knew it would be the perfect present for him! The only problem was, he doesn’t wear tank tops. But I figured I could make my own expanded version on a t-shirt, and it turned out great. Check out his Gatsby party t-shirt!
Don’t you just love it! It’s the perfect DIY gift for the book nerd in your life!
Ain’t No Party Like A Gatsby Party T-Shirt
Here’s what you need: (affiliate links below to the products I use and recommend)
- a plain cotton t-shirt
- black heat transfer vinyl
- Silhouette cutting machine (or X-acto knife, or scissors, if you have a steady hand)
- clean dish towel
I have already written a detailed tutorial on how to use heat transfer vinyl, so if you’re new to the material, check it out! I give step by step instructions on designing your image, cutting out your design, weeding out extra vinyl, and adhering the design to your fabric.
But basically, the first step is to cut out your design from your vinyl. Remember to mirror your image before you cut it so that the text reads forward once it’s applied!
After the vinyl is cut, weed out all of the extra vinyl from the backing. Then flip the vinyl over so that the backing is face up, position it on your shirt, and press with a hot iron for 30 to 45 seconds. For a design this big, you may need to move the iron and press again to make sure that all areas of vinyl have been properly adhered to the shirt.
Peel away the backing, and you’re done! (If you want more details be sure to check out my full tutorial on how to use heat transfer vinyl!)
I just love how it turned out, and my husband loves it too!
I got a picture of him wearing it on Christmas morning too! If you follow me on Instagram you may remember seeing this photo that morning.
Want to share this tutorial with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
P.S. if you want to see more Silhouette tutorials, check out my Silhouette project gallery to see every project I’ve ever done with my Silhouette, or check out some of my favorites below!
This project is part of this month’s Silhouette Challenge! Want to see some other great word art and typography project ideas you can make using your Silhouette cutting machine? Check these out!
1. My Paper Craze // 2. The Stamp Doc // 3. Peanut Life Adventures // 4. Creative Ramblings // 5. Pitter and Glink // 6. The Thinking Closet // 7. Single Yet Married Mom // 8. unOriginalMom // 9. Sisters, What! // 10. Where The Smiles Have Been // 11. From Whine to Whine // 12. Adventures in All Things Food // 13. Practically Functional // 14. Patina Paradise // 15. Please Excuse My Craftermath… // 16. Weekend Craft // 17. Two Purple Couches // 18. Ribbons & Glue // 19. TitiCrafty // 20. Simply Kelly Designs // 21. Confessions of an Overworked Mom // 22. Get Silvered
More posts you might like!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- How To Paint A Door The Easy Way! - September 18, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed #190 & Crates & Pallet Giveaway - September 14, 2017
- FREE Mrs. Meyer’s Fall Scents Kit From Grove Collaborative! - September 12, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed #189 & Crates & Pallet Giveaway - September 7, 2017
- 11 Easy DIY Fall Decor Projects - September 6, 2017