Have you started thinking about Valentine’s Day crafts and decor yet? I think it’s just about time, so I decided to start with this super simple paper heart garland. It only took about fifteen minutes to make, and the little paper hearts are just too cute!!!
Make Your Own Paper Heart Garland
You only need a few things to make this garland:
- colored or patterned paper
- baker’s twine or yarn
- hole punch
Start by cutting your paper into strips. For each heart you will need two 7″ x 1″ strips, two 6″ x 1″ strips, two 5″ x 1″ strips, and one 4″ x 1″ strip. The first six strips will make the body of the heart itself, and the 4″ strip is how you hang the heart. (You can use the same paper for all of the strips, or use a different paper for the shortest strip, or you can mix and match throughout the whole heart; your choice!)
Take one 5″ strip and gently bend it into a loop so that the two ends meet.
Then take one 6″ strip and bend it into a loop over the 5″ loop, making sure all four ends meet at the bottom of the loop.
Then take one 7″ strip, bend it into a loop over the other two loops, line up all the ends at the bottom, and staple through all layers of paper near the bottom edges of the loops. You now have half of a heart!
Make the other half of the heart the exact same way with the remaining 7″, 6″, and 5″ strips.
Then place the two halves of the heart next to each other with the 4″ hanging strip in between. Line up all of the bottom edges again, and staple through both halves of the heart and the hanging strip. Punch a hole at the top of the hanging strip, and you’ve made one looped paper heart!
Repeat to make as many hearts as you want, and then string them onto a length of baker’s twine. Knot the twine just before and after each heart so they don’t all bunch up in the middle.
Once all of your hearts are strung onto the twine, you’re done!
Hang the garland on your mantel and enjoy!
How do you decorate for Valentine’s Day?
Need some more Valentine’s Day ideas? Check these out!
- Valentine’s Day Hershey’s Kisses Mice
- DIY Valentines Pillow Boxes
- Valentine’s Day Cocktails: Cupid’s Broken Arrow
- DIY Valentine’s Day Swizzle Sticks
I link up at these awesome parties!
More posts you might like!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- Football Party Ideas: Food, Decorations, & More! - January 13, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed No. 155 – And A Personal Planner Giveaway! - January 12, 2017
- His And Hers Master Closet Makeover Reveal - January 10, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed No. 154 – And A Personal Planner Giveaway! - January 5, 2017
- DIY Free Printable Football Treat Boxes - January 5, 2017