This post was last updated on
Every once in a while I’m struck with the desire to do something nice for my husband. Doesn’t happen super often, so when it does I just go with it 🙂
I saw the cutest pin on Pinterest the other day of a mug with a lovely quote from Mr. Darcy written on it, and it inspired me to make my own (make my own quote on a mug…not my own mug, or my own Mr. Darcy!) So I did!
At first I thought it was going to take me a long time; the Mr. Darcy mug was written in such beautiful handwriting and looks so fancy, and I was trying to recreate that. But then I realized that no matter how hard I tried or how careful I was, my handwriting was still going to be pretty crappy, and maybe that just makes it a little more personalized anyways.
So I just wrote the quote on the mug, no real planning or practicing or anything. And JonMarke loves it! (For the idea, not for flawless execution.)
The quote is from On Golden Pond and it says “Listen to me, mister. You are my knight in shining armor. Don’t you forget it!”
My first thought for this project was “Starbucks! Starbucks has those mugs with the pens that you can customize yourself!” Then I thought “Well maybe I should DIY it a little bit more…that will save some money.”
But the Michael’s near me didn’t actually have the ceramic markers that appeared on their website, and I hadn’t really figured out where I was going to get one single large blank mug, and I’m not a very patient person. Long story short I ended up at the Starbucks and got their mug anyway…
To make the mug:
- Get a mug
- Get a ceramic/enamel marker (the Starbucks mug came with a marker, the whole thing was $14.95 plus tax)
- Shake the pen well and press the tip down on some scratch paper again and again until the ink starts to flow
- Draw on your mug!
- Let the design dry for 1 hour
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes
Just be careful when you pull the mug out of the oven, it will be extremely hot! The directions recommend you let it cool for 1 to 2 hours before use.
I assume that the directions are fairly similar even if you buy a non-Starbucks mug and marker, but check to make sure if you do!
Mugs like this make a perfect gift because you can customize them for anyone! You can put a fun, romantic quote on it like I did, or your kids can draw on a mug for Father’s Day, or you can just make fun ones to celebrate birthdays or whatever!
Have you ever been struck by the urge to do something cute and romantic, or has your S.O. done something fun for you?
I link up at these awesome parties!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- DIY No Sew Baby Flower Headbands - June 5, 2019
- Quick & Easy Campfire Meals - May 27, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Weeds Naturally - May 22, 2019
- Which Cricut Should I Buy? All 4 Cricut Models Compared - April 26, 2019
- FREE Mrs. Meyer’s Products In Limited Edition Spring Scents Are Here! - March 16, 2019