I’ve been traveling a lot this year, and I never have a good solution for my toiletries. I have a medium-sized bag, but it’s just one large bag so everything gets jumbled around in there when I travel. I decided I needed something a little more organized with more pockets for individual things, so I turned a washcloth into a simple DIY roll-up bag! It’s the perfect place to store your toiletries while you travel, it rolls up so it doesn’t take up too much room in your suitcase, and it’s easy to make!
Turn A Washcloth Into A Roll-Up Toiletry Bag For Travel
Here’s what you need to make your own washcloth travel kit: (affiliate links below to the products I use and recommend)
- 12″-18″ of washable ribbon
- sewing machine or needle and thread
- optional: iron-on hem tape or fabric glue
If you don’t have a sewing machine, you can sew this by hand with a needle and thread. Or you can make a no-sew version with iron-on hem tape or fabric glue. Either one will work great to turn a washcloth into a travel kit without sewing a stitch!
Start by folding the bottom of the washcloth up so that it’s about an inch or two below the top of the washcloth. Sew up both outside edges of the washcloth to make a large “pouch”. Then sew a few straight lines up the middle of the pouch to create smaller “pockets”. (If you’re making a no-sew version, just use fabric glue or hem tape in the same spots.)
Flip the washcloth over and attach the middle of the ribbon to one edge of the washcloth, about halfway up.
And you’re done! Flip the washcloth back over and fill the pockets with your toiletries!
When you’re ready to travel, roll the washcloth up and tie the ribbon around the middle to hold it closed, and you’re good to go!
Want to share this project with your friends? Share to Facebook, Pinterest, or send the article by email—just click on any of the share buttons floating on the left, or find them at the top and bottom of this post.
DIY Roll-Up Toiletry Bag Made From A Washcloth!
- sewing machine
- (or a needle and thread if you want to sew by hand)
- 12-18 inches ribbon (washable)
- iron-on hem tape (for a no-sew version)
- fabric glue (for a no-sew version)
How To Make A Roll-Up Toiletry Bag With A Sewing Machine
- Fold the bottom of the washcloth up so that it's about an inch or two below the top of the washcloth.
- Sew up both outside edges of the washcloth to make a large "pouch". Then sew a few straight lines up the middle of the pouch to create smaller "pockets".
- Flip the washcloth over and attach the middle of the ribbon to one edge of the washcloth, about halfway up.
- Flip the washcloth back over, fill the pockets with your toiletries, and you're done!
- When you're ready to travel, roll the washcloth up and tie the ribbon around the middle to hold it closed.
No-Sew Roll-Up Toiletry Bag
- Follow the same instructions above, except use iron-on hem tape or fabric glue instead of sewing along the edges and in the middle to create pockets.
Save your favorite projects!
Create a free account to easily save your favorite projects, tutorials, and recipes.Create Account