I love making handmade Christmas ornaments for our tree! Whenever we decorated our Christmas tree growing up, my favorite ornaments were always the ones my parents had made when they were younger. So when I saw these cute little wood slice coasters at my local craft store, I knew they would be perfect as Christmas ornaments. I cut some words out of vinyl with my Silhouette Cameo, stuck them on the coasters, and look how cute these wood slice Christmas ornaments turned out!
And I have an AMAZING giveaway for you today! The Silhouette Challenge group is giving away both a Silhouette CAMEO and a Silhouette Portrait! Scroll down for the details after the tutorial!
If you have a small tree branch laying around, you can slice that up and use it for these ornaments. If any trees have come down in your neighborhood, or if you cut down your own Christmas tree, these ornaments make a great keepsake! But if you don’t have tree branches to cut up, you can find wood slice coasters at your local craft store; they work great too!
DIY Wood Slice Christmas Ornaments
Here’s what you need to make these ornaments: (affiliate links below to the products I use and recommend)
- wood slices
- black adhesive vinyl
- Silhouette Cameo (or scissors or an X-acto knife if you have a steady hand!)
- drill and small drill bit
- baker’s twine, string, yarn, ribbon, etc.
Note: If you’re just getting started with adhesive vinyl, Silhouette has a vinyl starter kit that has everything you need to get started crafting with adhesive vinyl, including a hook tool and a sheet of black vinyl, which you need to do this project!
Start by cutting out your design with your Silhouette Cameo, or an X-acto knife if you have super steady hands. I chose to do words on my ornaments, but you could do a snowman, santa, reindeer, snowflake…you get the idea!
Peel away the background vinyl so that all you are left with is the word or design you want on your ornament.
In order to transfer the word to the wood slice without messing up the spacing, you need transfer paper, or a piece of washi tape or painter’s tape. Place the transfer paper or tape over the design and press it on so that it sticks to the vinyl.
Then carefully peel up the tape, making sure the vinyl comes up off the backing paper along with it. Then place the vinyl on your wood slice. Press the vinyl down well so that it sticks to the wood.
Carefully peel up the tape, this time making sure the vinyl stays stuck to the wood.
Then drill a hole near the top of the ornament, thread a piece of baker’s twine through the hole, and tie it into a loop.
Then hang them on your tree and enjoy!
Want to share this tutorial with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons off to the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
P.S. If you loved this Christmas ornament tutorial, you’ll love my book 12 Easy Handmade Christmas Ornaments! It’s a collection of 12 easy-to-follow tutorials for handmade Christmas ornaments that are the perfect addition to any Christmas tree! No experience necessary; just follow the simple step-by-step directions, and check out the photos along with each step if you need additional guidance! It makes a great gift for the crafter in your life, or grab a copy today for yourself and get ready to craft this holiday season!
If you want to see more Silhouette tutorials, check out my Silhouette project gallery to see every project I’ve ever done with my Silhouette, or check out some of my favorites below!
This project is part of this month’s Silhouette Challenge! Want to see some other great holiday project ideas you can make using your Silhouette cutting machine? Check these out!
1. Pineapples and Pinecones // 2. Simply Kelly Designs // 3. Architecture of a Mom // 4. Just a Girl and Her Blog // 5. Two Purple Couches // 6. Chicken Scratch NY // 7. Creative Ramblings // 8. One Dog Woof // 9. Ginger Snap Crafts // 10. The Thinking Closet // 11. Please Excuse My Craftermath… // 12. Designer Trapped in a Lawyer’s Body // 13. weekend craft // 14. Dragonfly & Lily Pads // 15. Practically Functional // 16. Living My Given Life // 17. My Paper Craze // 18. The Kim Six Fix // 19. Home At Eight // 20. Queen of Everything // 21. Tried & True // 22. McCall Manor // 23. unOriginal Mom // 24. Create it. Go! // 25. From Wine to Whine // 26. GetSilvered // 27. It’s Always Ruetten // 28. Nearly Handmade // 29. Mama Sonshine // 30. Silhouette School // 31. It Happens in a Blink // 32. Create & Babble // 33. Sowdering About // 34. Where The Smiles Have Been // 35. My Favorite Finds // 36. Lil’ Mrs. Tori // 37. Designed Decor
And now for the giveaway!
My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I, in partnership with Silhouette America, are hosting a mega-huge giveaway for not one…but two winners! The prizes up for grabs?
First prize: The NEW Silhouette Cameo Machine and Designer Edition Super Bundle! $406.93 value.
- Silhouette CAMEO®
- Designer Edition Software
- Dust Cover
- $25 Download Card
- Four Essential Silhouette Tools (hook, spatula, scraper, pick-me-up™)
Second prize: Silhouette Portrait Machine and Rhinestone Starter Kit! $219.98 value.
Pretty sweet, huh? We want you to have the chance to get that Silhouette machine that might still be on your wish list.
To enter: just complete the entries in the Rafflecopter widget below or at this link. Because of my many blog friends who helped make this giveaway possible, you have 42 potential entries, which means a lot of winning power. So, hurry up and enter!
This giveaway runs from today through Monday, December 15th at 11:59p eastern and is open to anyone 18 years of age or older with a U.S. or Canada mailing address. You can read the rest of the terms and conditions in the widget below.
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- 9 Handprint Art Ideas For Mother’s Day - April 16, 2018
- 15 DIY Seed Starter Pots You Can Make From Recycled Materials! - April 13, 2018
- FREE Mrs. Meyer’s Products In Limited Edition Spring Scents Are Here! - April 9, 2018
- 11 Colorful Spring Flower Ideas - April 4, 2018
- 200+ Red, White, & Blue DIY Projects! - March 27, 2018