Hi, everyone! I’m, Heidi from One Creative Mommy, and I’m super excited to help Jessi out while she’s on maternity leave. I’m a wife and mom of three beautiful girls, and I blog about everything family and mommy-related — crafts, DIY, parenting, printables, gluten-free cooking (my daughter has Celiac), and more. Today I’m happy to share one of my favorite projects from our recent Minion Birthday party: Easy Minion cupcakes with chocolate covered oreos!
I’ll admit it. I didn’t think I was going to like Despicable Me, but those adorable little Minions stole my heart, and I’ve enjoyed all three movies. After seeing the most recent Minions movie, our next birthday party had to be Minion-themed! We had a great time making Minion Flip Flops and Minion Bookmarks.
When it came to the cake, I wasn’t quite skilled enough to make one of those gorgeous fondant-covered cakes I’ve seen online. I stuck with something a little more simple — chocolate dipped Oreos and cupcakes. Ready to learn how to create this adorable dessert?
Easy Minion Cupcakes
- cupcakes prepared and cooled (lemon cupcakes look the best)
- blue frosting
- lollipop sticks
- chocolate jimmies sprinkles (for the hair)
- candy eyes
- yellow candy melts
- black decorator gel icing
- candle for the birthday child (optional!)
- Oreos (or, for gluten free, glutino sandwich cookies — pictured)
- waxed paper
- Line cookie sheet or counter with waxed paper.
- Prepare Oreos by inserting a lollipop stick halfway into the creme. (If you want to put a candle in one of the Oreos, use double stuffed.)
- Melt the chocolate candy melts according to package instructions, and dip the Oreos.
- After dipping each cookie, place it on the waxed paper, and immediately add the candy eyes and chocolate jimmies.
- If your house is warm, transfer the cookies to the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to cool.
- Once completely cool, carefully trim any excess chocolate from the edges of the cookies with a paring knife.
- Using the decorator icing, draw goggles and smiles. (You don’t need to draw on the back of the cookie.)
- Ice the cupcakes with blue frosting.
- VERY IMPORTANT! Wait until just before serving to stick the Oreo pops into the cupcakes. (If you leave them in the cupcakes too long, they’ll tip over!)
That’s it! Easy peasy.
If you want the birthday girl or boy to have a special Oreo pop with a candle on its head, you only need to make a few changes. When you insert the lollipop stick, add a narrow candle opposite the stick. This is where the double stuffed Oreo is helpful, since it can be tough to find a candle narrow enough to fit. I ended up spooning extra chocolate inside the Oreo to help hold the cookie together.
Since there is now something sticking out of both sides of the cookie, you’ll have to spoon the candy melts over the top instead of dipping the cookie into the chocolate. I gave the face a silly expression because I thought it would look cute when the candle was lit.
Thanks for visiting with me today! I’d love to see you at One Creative Mommy, and you can also find me on social media below.
Want to share this recipe with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
If you liked this recipe, check out these other simple recipes!