I love making homemade gifts for the holidays, and one of my favorite things to make is homemade sugar scrub: it’s quick and easy to make, and it’s the perfect gift for anyone who wants a little pampering at home! I decided to add some mint to my latest batch to give it a little holiday flair, and it turned out great. So today I’m sharing with you my simple homemade mint sugar scrub recipe. It will take you less than ten minutes to whip up a batch, and you can easily double or triple the recipe to make enough for all your family and friends!
Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub Recipe
This homemade mint sugar scrub is so easy to make: just put everything in your stand mixer and let the machine do all the work of whipping it into a light, creamy sugar scrub!
- ½ C coconut oil
- 1-½ to 2 C granulated sugar
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil (you can substitute 1 tsp of peppermint extract)
- 2 drops of green food coloring
- stand mixer or hand mixer (I love using my KitchenAid stand mixer for this recipe!)
- small airtight containers (I used these jars from Michaels)
Start by putting the coconut oil and sugar in the stand mixer, add the paddle mixer attachment, and turn it on to the lowest speed. Don’t warm up the coconut oil before putting it in the mixer; you want it to still be solid when it mixes with the sugar.
After the sugar and oil start to incorporate, turn the speed up slowly. When it starts to “cream” like butter, turn the machine on to the fastest setting and let it whip the sugar mixture for 30 seconds, then turn it off.
Add the essential oil and food coloring, then turn the machine back on medium until the color is fully incorporated. Once the color is consistent throughout the whole mixture, and the whole thing is light and fluffy, your sugar scrub is ready!
Spoon it out into small airtight jars, wrap them up with a ribbon, and give them away to family and friends!
The sugar scrub will keep in the jars for a long, long time. I don’t know exactly how long, but I still have sugar scrub I made in years past, and it is still totally fine. 🙂
A quick word of warning: coconut oil makes everything super slippery, so if you’re going to use the sugar scrub on your feet, be super careful when you stand up so you don’t fall over!
Want to share this project with your friends? Share to Facebook, Pinterest, or send the article by email—just click on any of the share buttons floating on the left, or find them at the top and bottom of this post.
Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil (or 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract)
- 2 drops green food coloring
- Put the coconut oil and sugar in the stand mixer bowl, add the paddle attachment, and turn it on to the lowest speed.
- Slowly turn up the speed as the oil and sugar start to incorporate. When it starts to “cream” like butter, turn the machine on to the fastest setting and let it whip the sugar mixture for 30 seconds, then turn it off.
- Add the essential oil and food coloring, then turn the machine back on medium until the color is fully incorporated.
- Spoon it out into small airtight jars, wrap them up with a ribbon, and give them away to family and friends!
Save your favorite projects!
Create a free account to easily save your favorite projects, tutorials, and recipes.Create Account