Anyone else have super dry skin after the crazy winter we just had?! This all natural body butter recipe is the perfect remedy for dry, scaly skin, and it’s incredibly easy to make!
I love homemade skincare products because I know exactly what goes into them; no chemicals for me! Remember, your skin is your body’s largest organ, and it will absorb anything it touches. So instead of absorbing all those chemicals in store-bought lotions and creams, why not try this all natural body butter recipe instead?!
This body butter recipe contains Young Living Melrose and Lavender essential oils, so besides leaving your skin feeling soft and smooth, it also helps heal and repair damaged, scaly skin!
Melrose is a blend of essential oils, all of which have antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, and Lavender is also anti-fungal and antiseptic. These oils both help promote tissue regeneration and prevent scarring. Perfect for dry, scaly skin that needs a bit of rejuvenation!
Homemade Whipped Body Butter Recipe
Here’s what you need to make your own natural shea body butter: (affiliate links below)
- 1/4 C organic coconut oil
- 1/4 C sweet almond oil
- 1/2 C shea butter
- 8 drops Young Living Lavender essential oil (learn more about essential oils here)
- 8 drops Young Living Melrose essential oil (learn more about essential oils here)
Coconut oil and shea butter are both solid at room temperature, so the first step is to melt them down into a liquid. Place the coconut oil and shea butter in the top of a double boiler, turn the heat on, and stir until melted.
Remove from heat and let the liquids cool down for half an hour.
After half an hour, stir in the almond oil and essential oils. Then place the mixture in the freezer to chill. This step is SUPER important! The oils have to just barely start to solidify again so that you can whip the body butter to the correct consistency.
Leave the mixture in the freezer until the edges just start to solidify, anywhere from 10-20 minutes.
Once the edges have started to solidify, remove it from the freezer and whip until the whole thing is smooth like butter. This piece of the process reminds me of whipping egg whites until they form “stiff peaks”; you basically want to keep whipping the mixture until it thickens and forms peaks that can stand up on their own.
Once you have stiff peaks, transfer the body butter into a clean glass jar, and enjoy!
This body butter will leave your skin healthy and soft; just remember, a little bit goes a long way!
Have you ever made your own body butter before?
Body Butter Tips & Tricks
- No need to refrigerate this body butter! If you stuck it in the freezer long enough before starting to whip it, it will hold it’s whipped consistency without refrigeration. And there’s no water in the mixture, so you don’t need to worry about mold.
- The body butter will melt a little as you apply it, and it may feel oily at first. But it will absorb into your skin quickly, leaving it soft and smooth! Just remember, you only need a little bit to cover a large area of skin. If your skin is still shiny and oily after about five minutes, you probably used too much. I use a tiny pea-sized amount and it fully covers both of my hands!
- If the body butter doesn’t whip up into stiff peaks, it probably wasn’t cold enough. Put it back in the freezer for a few more minutes and try again.
- Be careful if you substitute any of the ingredients; coconut oil and shea butter are both solid at room temperature, while almond oil is a liquid, and it’s important to keep the same ratio of solids to liquids otherwise you won’t be able to whip it into stiff peaks.
Young Living’s Lavender essential oil is probably my favorite of all the ones they make; it’s so versatile! It’s great for helping you relax, and as I mentioned before, it helps heal chapped, dry skin, minor burns, and itchy bug bites.
Or if you are ready to start using essential oils, you can get the Young Living Premium Starter kit at a HUGE discount and get all your oils at 24% off for life when you sign up as a wholesale member. The starter kit is everything you need to get started living a happier, healthier, more natural life with essential oils, and the 24% discount on any future purchases of Young Living oils and products doesn’t hurt either! Check out this page for more details.
These statements and any information contained on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is intended for educational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for medical care or to prescribe treatment for any specific health condition. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Our content is not purposed to replace professional medical diagnosis, treatment or advice. Information obtained from a Young Living member should never cause disregard or delay seeking advice or treatment from a medical or healthcare provider. Use of any information from the content of this site solely at your own risk. Consult individual products labels for safety information.
More posts you might like!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- Simple DIY Christmas Lantern Decoration - November 20, 2017
- Updating The Foundation Wall: Part 1 - November 17, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed #199 & Oriental Trading Giveaway - November 16, 2017
- FREE Mrs. Meyer’s Holiday Scents Kit From Grove Collaborative! - November 14, 2017
- Creativity Unleashed #198 & Oriental Trading Giveaway - November 9, 2017