Clean a microwave in minutes! All you need is vinegar and water, no scrubbing required!
Have you ever exploded pizza sauce in the microwave? Today’s post will show you how to clean a microwave using only water, vinegar, and steam! It’s easy to do, only takes a few minutes, and it works great!
I was able to clean off dirt and grime I didn’t even realize was there!
I love simple cleaning solutions like this. I made a homemade grout cleaner with just baking soda and bleach and it worked WONDERS! And we’ve been using a homemade borax free laundry soap for almost a year now and we love it! It’s cheap, non-toxic, and cleans better than commercial detergent! And when we moved into our new house and the washing machine was horribly dirty, I learned how to clean a washing machine with just two wash cycles, and it’s sparkling clean now!
Want some other great cleaning tips?! Check these out!
- 9 Ways To Disinfect Your House After Flu Season
- The Best Way To Clean The Inside Of Your Stove (Hint: It’s Not The Self Clean Feature!)
- How To Clean The Ring Around The Collar Of Your Dress Shirts
- How To Remove Yellow Sweat Stains From Your Clothes The Easy Way!
How To Clean A Microwave With Vinegar
- a microwaveable bowl or glass measuring cup (you can also use the Angry Mama microwave cleaner)
- a toothpick
- a sponge
I made a video to show you just how easy it is to clean a microwave with vinegar and steam!
1. Put water and vinegar in a microwaveable bowl
Fill a microwaveable bowl with 2 cups of water and add 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Add a drop of essential oil if you want to mask the vinegar smell.
Drop a toothpick into the bowl of water to help keep the water from boiling out over the edges of the bowl.
2. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
Put the bowl in the microwave, shut the door, and run the microwave on high for 5 minutes.
3. Let it steam for a few minutes.
When the timer goes off, don’t open the microwave right away. Leave the door shut for 2-3 more minutes to let the steam continue to work. The steam will help loosen up caked on bits of food, and the vinegar and lemon oil will help eliminate any odors.
4. Remove the bowl and turntable.
When you open the door, be careful pulling the bowl out; it will be very hot! Remove the turntable tray (carefully, it will be hot as well) and wash it in the sink.
5. Wipe the microwave down with a sponge
Take your sponge and wipe down the inside of the microwave; the dirt and food will come right off!
How To Clean A Microwave With Vinegar & Steam
- microwaveable bowl
- 2 C water
- 2 T vinegar
- essential oils optional
- Fill a microwaveable bowl with 2 cups of water and add 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Drop a toothpick in the bowl. [mv_img id="24809"]
- Put the bowl in the microwave and turn it on high for 5 minutes.
- Leave the door shut for 2-3 more minutes so the steam can loosen up caked on bits of food, and the vinegar will help eliminate any odors.
- Remove the bowl and turntable (be careful, it will be hot!) and wash the turntable in the sink.
- Wipe down the inside of the microwave with a damp sponge; the dirt and food will come right off! [mv_img id="24810"]
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorites projects and tutorials.Subscribe
You could also use the Angry Mama microwave cleaner to steam clean your microwave, which eliminates the “smooth surface” problem of a glass bowl. Plus she’s cute, and only a couple bucks!
Another way to clean your microwave is to get a sponge soaking wet, pour about a teaspoon of vinegar on it, and then microwave the sponge. However, this method doesn’t create as much steam as microwaving a bowl of water, so if your microwave is really dirty, use the bowl instead.
Do you have any other tips for cleaning a microwave? I was thrilled with how easy this was! What other kitchen cleaning tips have you tried?