This post was last updated on
My mother in law showed me the coolest trick the other day: how to peel a tomato using the burner on a gas stove! I don’t mind tomato skins when I eat tomatoes raw, but there are some recipes where you don’t want those skins, like when making tomato sauce or tomato soup. So if you need peeled tomatoes, here is the quickest, easiest way I’ve ever seen to peel a tomato!
You can peel a tomato by blanching it, but that involves a pot of boiling water and a bowl of ice water. This is so much faster than waiting for water to boil!
How To Peel A Tomato
Here’s what you need:
- a tomato
- a pair of tongs
- a gas burner
All you do is turn on the burner, grab a tomato in the tongs, and hold it just above the flame. Don’t hold it in the flame, or you’ll burn it!
After 30 to 45 seconds the tomato will “pop” and the skin will split open.
Set the tomato down on a plate and let it cool down for a few seconds. Then just grab the skin and peel it away!
The skin will come right off in your hands. My mother in law peeled six or seven tomatoes in less than five minutes this way; it’s so easy to do!
Do you have any tips or tricks for peeling tomatoes?
Want to share this tutorial with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- How To Weld In Cricut Design Space - January 20, 2020
- How To Slice In Cricut Design Space - January 13, 2020
- How To Organize Your Kitchen Drawers: 20 Ideas To Tame The Clutter - December 16, 2019
- Is A Cricut Worth The Price: How To Decide For Yourself - December 11, 2019
- Keep Kids Clothes Organized With These Cute Dresser Drawer Labels [Free Printable + SVG] - December 6, 2019