This post was last updated on
After a good workout, I love using a deep-heating cream like Bengay, IcyHot, or Tiger Balm on my sore muscles. The warming action is such a nice relief for the soreness, and my muscles always feel better the next day! But the problem with those creams is that they smell terrible! I mean, you get used to it, especially if you’re an athlete, but still…yuck. So I decided to try making my own homemade warming muscle rub, and it turned out great!
It’s really easy to make, and it really works! The essential oils in the rub help promote blood flow to the area, which is what gives you that warming feeling, and the extra blood flow helps the muscles heal faster. Here are the benefits from each of the oils in the rub:
- Peppermint oil: natural painkiller (analgesic); muscle relaxant; cooling properties; stimulates blood circulation
- Eucalyptus oil: natural analgesic; anti-inflammatory; vasodilator (opens blood veins to improve circulation)
- Clove oil: natural anti-inflammatory agent; stimulates blood circulation
- Ginger oil: natural anti-inflammatory agent; analgesic
- Black Pepper oil: warming, stimulating, improves circulation
When I was browsing for a good homemade warming muscle rub recipe, I found this one here on PopSugar, so this is what I used.
How To Make Homemade Warming Muscle Rub
Here’s what you need for your own homemade warming muscle rub:
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/4 C coconut oil
- 1 T beeswax
- 20 drops of each of the following essential oils: (learn more about essential oils here)
- Ginger (you can substitute 1/4 t ground ginger if necessary)
- Black Pepper (you can substitute 1/4 t ground black pepper if necessary)
- small pot
- pyrex measuring cup (or any heat-proof glass or metal bowl)
- coffee filter
- a second pyrex measuring cup, or a small bowl
- small airtight container for storage
Start by filling the small pot with a few inches of water and putting the pyrex measuring cup or heat-proof bowl inside the pot to create a sort of double boiler. Put the pot on the stove and turn on the heat to medium.
If you’re using ground ginger and ground black pepper instead of ginger and black pepper oils: Add the olive oil, coconut oil, ground ginger and ground pepper to the pyrex or bowl. Bring the water in the pot to a simmer and let the spices steep in the oils for about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, add the beeswax and continue heating the mixture until the beeswax melts.
If you’re using ginger and black pepper oils: Start by adding the olive oil, coconut oil, and beeswax to the pyrex or bowl. Bring the water in the pot to a simmer and continue heating until the beeswax melts.
From here on out the directions are the same regardless of which ingredients you used. While you wait for the beeswax to melt, put a coffee filter inside of a funnel and place the funnel over another pyrex measuring cup or bowl.
Once the beeswax is fully melted, carefully pour the oil mixture through the funnel and coffee filter to strain out the ginger and pepper flakes and any other impurities.
It may take a while for the oil to strain through the filter, but just be patient! Once all the oil has been strained, add 20 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus, and clove oil to the mixture. (If you didn’t use ground ginger and ground black pepper, add 20 drops each of ginger and black pepper oil as well.)
Work quickly at this point because the beeswax will start to harden as it cools.
Once the essential oils are mixed in, pour the oil mixture into a small airtight container. Seal the container and let it set for a few hours at room temperature until solid, and then you’re done!
Rub a small amount of the homemade warming muscle rub on any painful muscles after a workout, and the heat from the rub will start to make your muscles feel better right away! Plus, though you can definitely smell this muscle rub, it doesn’t stink like it’s commercial counterparts!
Want to share this with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
P.S. if you liked this project, check out these other great ways to use essential oils!
Or if you are ready to start using essential oils, you can get the all of the must-have essential oils in the Young Living Premium Starter kit at a HUGE discount. Plus you 24% off every purchase you make for life when you sign up as a wholesale member. The starter kit is everything you need to get started living a happier, healthier, more natural life with essential oils, and the 24% discount on any future purchases of Young Living oils and products doesn’t hurt either! Check out this page for more details.
These statements and any information contained on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is intended for educational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for medical care or to prescribe treatment for any specific health condition. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Our content is not purposed to replace professional medical diagnosis, treatment or advice. Information obtained from a Young Living member should never cause disregard or delay seeking advice or treatment from a medical or healthcare provider. Use of any information from the content of this site solely at your own risk. Consult individual products labels for safety information.
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- How To Make A Birthday Coupon Book With A Cricut Maker - September 18, 2019
- 21 Super Simple Home Office Organization Ideas - September 9, 2019
- How To Make Personalized Stuffed Dolls With The Cricut EasyPress Mini - September 6, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Cricut Infusible Ink Transfer Sheets - August 30, 2019
- Mermazing SVG Cut File – Cricut and Silhouette - August 26, 2019