Hi! I’m Lexi from Lexi Bites and I’m so excited to be joining Practically Functional as today’s guest blogger. Every month over on Lexi Bites, I’m exploring the culinary culture of a new destination with inspired food and drink recipes you can make at home, no passport required.
If your inbox and snail mailbox are anything like mine during the holiday season, they are probably full of invitations to holiday get-togethers. As a foodie, I love to give homemade culinary gifts to everyone kind enough to invite me into their homes. My favorite DIY gifts to give are homemade signature spice blends. In today’s post, I’m sharing my favorite recipe for a DIY Montreal Steak Spice Seasoning, plus recommendations for five other spice blends.
Montreal Steak Seasoning was the signature blend used by Montreal butchers to dry-brine smoked and grilled meats. Its flavor profile is similar to Eastern European pickling spices, and pairs exceptionally well with beef. But don’t stop there! Montreal Steak Seasoning is also delicious with pork and hearty root vegetables like celery root, parsnips, carrots, potatoes and beets.
The secret to this blend’s versatility is the unique combination of flavors. There’s the smoky paprika, citrusy coriander, earthy thyme and fragrant rosemary, along with a spicy dose of black peppercorns and crushed red pepper flake. Montreal Steak Seasoning is great to have on hand during summer grilling season, but I also love to use it as a rub for roasts and stew meats before they go into the slow cooker. Try it in my recent recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Root Vegetables.
When I’m making DIY spice blends for holiday gifts, I like to make a big batch and portion it out into little airtight spice jars. It’s easy to find small containers online or at Target, TJ Maxx or World Market. Then, just add a cute personalized label and a favorite recipe, and you have a heartfelt gift that beats store-bought any day. You can also tuck several spice blends into a larger gourmet themed gift basket for a housewarming or wedding gift.
Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons kosher or coarse-grained sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked, sweet, or hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined. Portion into small, sealable glass jars or containers and seal tightly. The spice blend should keep up to six months.
Keep things spicy by trying a few of these other spice blend recipes from my favorite food bloggers:
- DIY Curry Powder from Analida’s Ethnic Spoon
- Homemade Taco Seasoning from Brooklyn Homemaker
- Blackened Seasoning from OMGFOOD
- Berbere Ethiopian Spice Blend from Rhubarbians
- Everything Bagel Spice Blend from The Suburban Soapbox
Want to share this recipe with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
If you liked this recipe, check out these other simple recipes!
More posts you might like!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- The Easiest Way To Make Your Own Clear Party Favor Boxes - February 13, 2019
- How To Hull Strawberries The Safest, Easiest Way - February 8, 2019
- How To Install A Programmable Wall Light Switch Timer - February 4, 2019
- Egg Blowing 101: How To Blow Out An Egg To Make It Hollow - February 1, 2019
- Whatever Sprinkles Your Donuts SVG Cut File - January 28, 2019