This post was last updated on
Boot trays are a functional accessory for any entryway; no one wants to deal with wet and muddy boots in their home! But the problem with our boot tray is that even though it helped keep our floors clean, the dirt and mud just sat in the bottom of the boot tray, so every time we went to put our boots on again, the soles were still wet and muddy! Once we get outside it doesn’t matter whether or not the soles of our boots are wet, but for the couple of steps we had to take indoors after we put our shoes on, it sort of defeated the whole purpose of the boot tray. So I decided to fix the problem with some river rocks, and in less than 2 minutes the boot tray makeover was complete!
River Rock Boot Tray Makeover
- 2 minutes (time spent doing stuff)
- 0 minutes (time spent waiting around)
- 2 minutes (total project time)
- boot tray
- river rocks (we used about 7 lbs of the medium sized rocks and 3 lbs of the small sized rocks for our tray; you can also find these at most craft stores)
If you’re starting with a boot tray that you’re already using, give it a quick wipe down with a rag so that you’re starting with a clean tray.
See all the dirt and water in the bottom of our boot tray? The tray definitely helped keep the boots from dripping onto the floor, but once all the snow and ice had melted, the boots were still sitting in a puddle of water!
River rocks to the rescue!
All you need to do is cut open the bags of river rocks and dump them into your tray! Spread them out a bit so they cover the entire bottom of the tray. Then put your shoes back, and enjoy!
The river rocks allow the melting ice and snow to drip off of your boots and down into the bottom of the tray; your boots end up totally dry, and the dirty water stays in the bottom of the tray under the rocks!
Plus the rocks are just so pretty!
Shop this project:
Want to share this tutorial with your friends? Just click any of the share buttons on the left to share with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- 21 Super Simple Home Office Organization Ideas - September 9, 2019
- How To Make Personalized Stuffed Dolls With The Cricut EasyPress Mini - September 6, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Cricut Infusible Ink Transfer Sheets - August 30, 2019
- Mermazing SVG Cut File – Cricut and Silhouette - August 26, 2019
- How To Use Heat Transfer Vinyl With A Cricut Machine: A Step By Step Guide - August 23, 2019