This post was last updated on
Who else loves fennel?! It’s kind of a love it or leave it flavor, but I definitely love it! Even though fennel is technically a vegetable, it’s often used as a spice. It takes a bit like anise (like black licorice) and adds a refreshing bite to any dish! My favorite fennel recipe is the shrimp and fennel in garlic sauce that my mom makes, but this roast chicken recipe is giving that one a run for its money! The apples are the perfect sweet addition to offset the zip from the fennel, plus the dish is quick and easy to make!
Roast Chicken with Fennel and Apples
Recipe adapted from this one.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 2 shallots, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 red apple, cored and quartered
Start by preheating your oven to 450.
Cut the fronds off the fennel bulb, then slice the bulb into small pieces. Fennel bulbs have layers, like an onion, so the best way to cut them is exactly the same way you’d cut an onion. At least fennel won’t make you cry! 🙂
In a large bowl, whisk the oil and vinegar together, then add the chicken, fennel, shallots, and sage. Toss the veggies and chicken to coat them in the oil mixture, lightly season with salt and pepper, then place the chicken on a cookie sheet. Arrange the veggies evenly around the chicken pieces.
Put the cookie sheet in the oven and roast for 35 minutes. After 35 minutes, add the apples to the sheet and roast for another 10-15 minutes until the chicken is lightly browned and the fennel has browned and turned crispy.
Pull it out of the oven, and enjoy!
I link up at these awesome parties!
Latest posts by Jessi Wohlwend (see all)
- Which Is The Best Cricut Machine In 2019: All 4 Cricut Models Compared - April 26, 2019
- FREE Mrs. Meyer’s Products In Limited Edition Spring Scents Are Here! - March 16, 2019
- Great Wolf Lodge Is Not For The Faint Of Heart (But It’s Worth It!) - March 15, 2019
- Deep Clean Your Bathroom With These 10 Simple Hacks! - March 4, 2019
- Tired As A Mother SVG Cut File - February 26, 2019